Beclomethasone is a hormonal drug belonging to the class of glucocorticosteroids . This medicine belongs to the main therapy for bronchial asthma.
Beclomethasone is used to reduce the swelling of the tissues of the respiratory tract, reduce mucus production, and suppress bronchial hyperreactivity. The instruction for use states that the medicine is used in the treatment of the following diseases:
- persistent bronchial asthma of any severity (as the main course of treatment);
- rhinitis, including allergic origin, vasomotor rhinitis;
- inflammatory processes of an infectious nature that affect the ears, skin inflammation (GCS is prescribed in conjunction with antibiotic therapy to reduce inflammation).
Contraindications to the use of Beclomethasone are:
- active tuberculosis (any form of pulmonary tuberculosis);
- severe cases of asthma with intense attacks;
- damage to the respiratory tract with Candida fungi;
- the period of bearing the child (in the first trimester it is categorically contraindicated, in the second and third trimesters the drug can be prescribed after a comprehensive assessment of the risks for the child);
- intolerance or hypersensitivity to the active compound.
The drug Beclomethasone is not used in the treatment of patients under the age of six; during lactation, it is recommended to stop feeding the baby with breast milk. When prescribed during childbearing, the doctor must carefully assess the possible risks. The newborn should be examined for adrenal dysfunction if the mother was treated with Beclomethasone during gestation .
Precautions assigned intranasal application of the preparation to patients suffering from amebiasis, disorders of the thyroid gland, kidney, and adrenal cortex, and having a damage (ulceration, perforation) septum.
The use of Beclomethasone in patients who have recently had a heart attack is not recommended . Injuries and surgical interventions on the nasal septum are the reason for refusing the intranasal use of Beclomethasone .
Composition and release forms
Forms of release of Beclomethasone
The main active compound in the composition is white methasone propionate.
Beclomethasone is produced for inhalation, the release form is aerosol cans, each of which contains 200 doses of the drug. Dosages vary: 0.05 mg or 0.25 mg each. The aerosol is applied by inhalation, intranasal , and also topically or externally.
Mechanism of action
Beclomethasone is a glucocorticosteroid hormone that relieves inflammation, acts as an antiallergic agent for external, local, inhalation and intranasal administration. The mechanism of action of the drug is based on suppressing the synthesis of prostaglandins, inhibition of the release of inflammatory mediators. When using this corticosteroid, the marginal accumulation of neutrophils decreases, which inhibits the formation of exudate, decreases the production of lymphokines , and the movement of macrophages. This effect slows down the formation of infiltrates in the airways.
The action of the drug is aimed at relieving puffiness, suppressing the production of mucus in the bronchial glands. When used in the form of an inhaler, it has a bronchodilating effect, relieving spasm of the smooth muscles of the respiratory tract, reducing bronchial hyperreactivity. Thus, the functions of external respiration are improved.
When used intranasally , Beclomethasone reduces swelling and inflammation of the nasopharyngeal mucosa.
Instructions for use
A pronounced therapeutic effect can be seen after 5-7 days of taking Beclomethasone . The duration of the course and the treatment regimen are prescribed individually by the attending physician. Dosages are also determined by the doctor, depending on the age of the patient, the severity of the disease. Before starting treatment with Beclomethasone , you should carefully study the instructions and strictly follow the doctor’s recommendations.
As a rule, in the correct therapeutic doses, Beclomethasone does not lead to the negative reactions of the body inherent in systemic corticosteroids. However, the development of side effects while taking the medication is possible, most often with prolonged treatment or exceeding dosages. Among them:
- sore throat, irritation of the tissues of the throat;
- sneezing, coughing;
- very rarely, it is possible to develop allergic- inflammatory lesions of lung tissue (eosinophilic pneumonia), paradoxical bronchospasm;
- when used intranasally , damage to the nasal septum, runny nose, bleeding from the nose, decreased function of the nasopharyngeal mucosa is possible;
- the development of an infectious process provoked by fungi of the genus Candida, in the upper respiratory tract or oral cavity;
- an increase in intraocular pressure indicators, the development of glaucoma;
- development of cataracts;
- immunological reactions: itchy skin and rashes, redness and swelling of the eyes, face, throat;
- systemic reactions: deterioration of the adrenal cortex.
When treating bronchial asthma, a child may experience growth retardation.
Beclomethasone is dispensed from pharmacies exclusively by prescription.
The use of Beclomethasone does not affect the speed of reaction, the ability of a person to drive vehicles and other complex mechanisms, to engage in work that requires extreme concentration and high speed of response.
The drug is prescribed as a basic treatment for bronchial asthma and is not intended to relieve asthmatic attacks. A severe course of the disease, accompanied by intense and prolonged seizures, requires the appointment of another treatment, Beclomethasone is contraindicated in such cases. You should strictly adhere to the method prescribed by the doctor in which the drug is administered.
Beklospir inhalation aerosol
Inhalation of beta- adrenergic drugs increases the effectiveness of Beclomethasone . Joint treatment with drugs of this group allows you to reduce the dosage of drugs over time.
If Beclomethasone is intolerant, the doctor may prescribe other pharmacological agents of a similar action. Complete structural analogs of Beclomethasone , its substitutes are Beklospir , Beklat , Klenil , Bekotid . Medicines with the same effect, but containing other substances: Pulmicort , Budecort , Benacort , Flixotide .
It is necessary to store the can at room temperature; it must not be exposed to high temperatures (more than 30 degrees). Gaudin Beclomethasone for 3 years, if the package is opened, the tool must be used within six months.
Beclomethasone is included in the list of inhaled glucocorticoids that form the basis of the basic treatment of bronchial asthma. Despite the likelihood of side effects (it is relatively small), the drug is considered effective and is successfully used in the treatment of this serious disease of the respiratory tract.