Pneumonia is characterized as a serious, lung disease caused by a viral or bacterial infection. And although the symptoms are similar to those of the common cold, the wrong therapeutic measures can lead to serious consequences. Therefore, it is important to identify and eliminate cough in case of pneumonia in time, using all available means.
Mechanism of occurrence
In most cases, pathogenic microorganisms that enter the body begin to irritate the laryngeal nerve. As a result, the person begins to cough. This is how the body tries to get rid of the irritant.
Doctors revealed that in the first 2 days a person suffers from a dry cough. As the lungs fill up with phlegm, the dry cough is gradually replaced by a wet one. If the cough reflex is not associated with the excretion of secretion, it is considered unproductive. Therefore, the actions of doctors can be aimed at suppressing it or at stimulating the separation of sputum. In the future, measures are required to remove it from the bronchi.
Cough symptoms with pneumonia
Doctors distinguish between several types of symptom manifestations. The accuracy of determining this parameter makes it possible to clarify the nature and stage of the course of the disease. So, pneumonia can be expressed by the following types of cough:
- Dry cough, which often differs in the initial stage of infection in childhood.
- Wet is associated with the transition of inflammation to the area of the alveoli and the accumulation of sputum. It is more typical for the first stage of pneumonia in adults, which is associated with a stronger immunity than in a child.
- A hoarse cough is associated with damage to the vocal cords. When this pathology is combined with pneumonia, the symptom is observed with the release of blood.
- Atypical chlamydial pneumonia often manifests itself as a staccato cough. Its signs are considered to be abruptness and shortness of breath. At the same time, an increased temperature is rarely observed.
- In rare cases, pneumonia manifests itself in the form of a barking cough. It happens with concomitant pathologies of the throat or trachea.
- If, against the background of pneumonia, an allergen enters the respiratory tract, a spastic cough occurs. It is also considered a sign of croupous pneumonia.
- Whooping cough is considered the most severe symptom of pneumonia. His attacks are so intense that they can induce vomiting.
- If the doctor hears the symptomatology of the bitonal type, he will give a conclusion about the presence of ulcers and fistulous passages in the airways.
- Symptoms of cough with syncope are characterized by loss of consciousness.
In some cases, the cough becomes permanent. In this case, the symptom manifests itself only in the morning. This is how the secretion accumulated overnight comes out.
It is possible to identify pneumonia only through professional diagnostics, since the disease is not associated with one set of symptoms. So, the inflammatory process is not always accompanied by a cough or high fever. Therefore, one should not neglect visits to the doctor at the first signs of the disease.
The doctor should definitely listen for additional noises in the patient’s chest area, since the presence of wet rales may indicate bronchitis. Then it is necessary to correlate the type of cough with the corresponding symptomatology. The doctor will also issue a referral for a blood test and lung x-ray.
Since viral or bacterial activity is considered the cause of cough and other signs, actions will be aimed at eliminating the pathogen. In most cases, home treatment is indicated for an adult. To do this, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics or antiviral drugs. Their type will depend on the type of pathogenic microflora.
To relieve the symptoms of a cough, drugs that stop the attack may be prescribed. As such, the use of Sinekod, Codelac or Omnitus is permissible.
As soon as the cough begins to take on a productive look, it must be treated with expectorant medications. For this, Stoptussin, Termopsol or their analogs are prescribed.
With a wet cough, it is recommended to drink mucolytic drugs that will help remove mucus. This category includes Ambroxol, Herbion, Ascoril. At the same time, drugs that suppress the reflex will be canceled.
Most of the medicines are contraindicated for pregnant women and children under one year old. And if the doctor has identified pneumonia in someone in this category, he will recommend treatment with remedies based on the action of herbal ingredients. This group includes syrups, breast fees.
Inhalation is helpful to achieve relief from attacks. Procedures with the use of bronchodilators, mucolytics, hormones, enzymes help well in eliminating wet cough. Oil inhalations, which can envelop mucous membranes and reduce the manifestation of symptoms, are recognized as useful for dry cough in pneumonia.
Among the popular methods of dealing with pneumonia, gargling is effective. They are carried out using warm water with soda, beets and vinegar, carrots with honey, herbal decoctions. If the cough has passed into the wet stage, but there is no expectoration, it is worth paying attention to compresses. They are made with mustard, honey, or vegetable oil. Since the compresses should be kept until the feeling of warmth, the procedure is preferably carried out during the day.
As soon as the disease began to recede, doctors recommend starting to do breathing exercises. It will contribute to the saturation of the lungs with oxygen, accelerate recovery. This is especially important if the cough has lasted long enough.
To protect your health during the period of infections, it is worth fulfilling several conditions:
- do not forget about personal hygiene, wash your hands with soap and water, especially after visiting public places;
- eat normally, giving preference to food rich in vitamins;
- pay attention to body-hardening procedures;
- do not forget about sufficient night’s rest;
- try to avoid stressful situations;
- dress according to the temperature regime;
- during the period of infections, do not stay for a long time in places where there are many people;
- give up habits that weaken the immune system;
- ventilate the room regularly.
This will allow either to avoid infection, or to transfer the disease in a milder form.
In the initial stages of pneumonia, doctors are required to take immediate action aimed at eliminating the disease, since other inflammatory and reactive processes may begin to develop against its background. They can be pulmonary or extrapulmonary. The first category includes:
- obstructive syndrome;
- acute respiratory failure;
- parapneumonic exudative pleurisy.
Pathologies that are a consequence of the inflammatory process in the lungs, but go beyond this organ, are considered acute cardiopulmonary failure, endocarditis, myocarditis, anemia, psychosis and other disorders. The type of complication is directly related to the age, state of health of the patient, the form of pneumonia, as well as the timeliness of the treatment begun.
The likelihood of deterioration is associated with the wrong actions of a person. So, he can stop taking medications as soon as the signs of the disease have begun to pass. However, the relief is associated with the death of the main colony of microorganisms. And if the population is not completely eradicated, the remaining viruses or bacteria will adapt to the drug. As a result, after a short time, the person may feel bad again. And to eliminate the consequences, stronger medicines will be required.
If a cough has become one of the manifestations of pneumonia, it must be eliminated along with the underlying disease. After a thorough diagnosis, the doctor’s actions will be aimed at stimulating the separation and excretion of sputum. This will relieve and eliminate the symptom. It should be remembered that the lack of timely measures for pneumonia can lead to serious complications.