Inhalation therapy is a method used to treat the respiratory tract by administering medication to the respiratory tract in the form of an aerosol. They do this with the help of special devices – inhalers, which are also called nebulizers. The effectiveness of this treatment is much higher than a simple medication or injections. Tissues are not disturbed, there are very few cases of side effects during treatment with inhalations, and costs are less.
With the help of inhalation, practically all respiratory diseases are treated – respiratory infections, bronchitis, asthma, pharyngitis, for this purpose special devices are used – inhalers.
Advantages of inhalation:
1. The medicine acts immediately on the inflamed mucosa
2. The method is much cheaper than others
3. The medicine has almost no side effects due to the fact that it is almost not absorbed into the blood
4. Large doses of the drug can be used 5. It is not contraindicated in children, people in old age and patients with low immunity 6. No special skills are required for use
A special device for inhalation – a nebulizer – helps to take medicine in significant doses and without impurities.
Nebulizers can be divided into three types:
1. Compressor – the most popular inhalers today. Medicinal aerosol is obtained due to air jets that are created using a compressor. These are relatively inexpensive and reliable inhalers. Of the minuses – a lot of weight, noise and only an upright position when used, which is not very convenient in cases of treating infants and bedridden patients. 2. Ultrasonic – silent inhalers, compared with the previous ones, but the scope of their application is not as wide as that of compression ones. Inhalers of this type have a relatively low cost. The aerosol jet is formed due to ultrasonic vibrations. 3. Electron-mesh – small silent inhalers, the scope of which is very wide. Ideal for infants and bedridden patients. The inhaler works by sifting medication through the net. The only drawback of this device is its high cost.
The following drugs should not be used in nebulizers:
– oil-containing solutions;
– decoctions of herbs;
– substances that do not affect the mucous membranes, for example, aminophylline, diphenhydramine, etc.
Inhalers have firmly entered our lives. Not a single young mother, not a single person suffering from bronchitis and asthma can do without him now.