In bronchial asthma and obstructive bronchitis, asthmatic cough is the main symptom in which the microfibers of the bronchi spasm , the submucous layer swells, and phlegm is released. Allergies caused by external irritants are a common cause of this cough.
This type of cough is caused by various reasons:
- allergies provoked by pollen, pet hair, food, drugs and other external irritants;
- respiratory pathology;
- burdened heredity;
- virus infection;
- cigarette smoke;
- asthmatic attack.
The irritant enters the bloodstream, and antibodies are synthesized to destroy the allergen. The bronchi swell, the body receives less oxygen, the patient begins to cough.
The pathological condition will manifest itself with a weakened immunity. Often the child’s immune system is weakened, the child’s body is sensitive to infectious pathogens. Therefore, it is required to sanitize infectious foci, and if the dry cough does not stop, the person develops asthma manifestations.
An asthmatic often suffers from pollen in the spring. Therefore, it is better to refuse travel to unknown places, since it is almost impossible to identify allergens without the help of a doctor.
Patients with sensitive mucous membranes should avoid dust. In the room where the patient lives, wet cleaning should be carried out 2-4 times in 7 days. Allergic reactions are also triggered by dust mites.
In an adult, the asthmatic type of cough is caused by the thick hair of cats and dogs with frequent stroking with the hands of pets.
With the cough form of bronchial asthma, the pathological process affects the mucous and muscular membranes of the bronchi. The trigger mechanism for the formation of pathology in most cases is allergic reactions to specific antigens.
The ingress of an irritant into the body provokes a sharp histamine release, which leads to:
- to an increase in vascular permeability – the liquid penetrates into the intercellular zone, local edema is formed, bronchi are affected;
- narrowing of the lumen in the airways – respiratory function is impaired, less oxygen gets into the lungs;
- spasm of microfibers located near the bronchi, the lumen of which narrows even more.
At the same time, the inflammatory process of the bronchial mucous membranes occurs, the receptors are irritated, the cough progresses. Thick viscous mucus is strongly secreted, the coughing of which is difficult, the movement of air along the respiratory tract is blocked, the symptoms are aggravated.
A patient with asthmatic cough has the following symptoms:
- respiratory function is difficult for no apparent reason;
- a characteristic symptom of asthmatic cough is the sudden appearance of paroxysm (attack). Sometimes it can begin due to exhausting physical labor, strong smells, loud laughter or crying, sudden changes in temperature from cold to warm;
- the paroxysm increases at night and in the morning, the duration of a dry cough is several minutes or hours;
- the patient has difficulty in nasal breathing for no apparent reason;
- the skin is pale, the body temperature is normal, so there is no need to use the antibiotic necessary for a bacterial infection;
- with a strong attack of dry cough, a small amount of clear sputum may be released;
- in the throat area, the patient is uncomfortable, it tickles, it hurts for a certain period, there is a feeling of dryness;
- coughing fits last more than 3 weeks. Other symptoms are not observed.
A cough in chronic bronchitis, provoked by a prolonged cold, bacteria, viruses, cold air, is observed in the patient constantly, even in remission. With bronchitis, the patient does not have shortness of breath, a constant wet cough alternates with dry, yellow-green sputum with mucus and / or pus is released.
Before undergoing treatment, the patient needs to be diagnosed. The patient needs to consult a therapist. When the initial examination is carried out, the doctor will refer the patient to specialized specialists.
The doctor analyzes the patient’s complaints, finds out the facts:
- the age at which symptoms appeared;
- seasons of the year when seizures appear;
- places where a person starts to cough;
- the body’s reaction to a pungent odor;
- living conditions of a person (contact with pets), his lifestyle, psychology, work and rest regime.
Diagnostic measures include carrying out:
- general, biochemical blood tests;
- general urine examination;
- bacterial culture of sputum;
- allergic, inhalation tests;
- immunological research.
Asthmatic Cough Treatment
Dry cough therapy consists in eliminating spasm in the chest, it is required to avoid contact with allergens, otherwise it is impossible to completely cure the patient.
The use of antihistamines is shown. This medicine will eliminate the attack in 15 minutes or half an hour. The means of the latest generation are used, the patient can be treated with Zodak , Zirtek . These drugs do not affect the body sedative .
The administration of bronchodilator drugs, which eliminate the spasm of the microfibers of the bronchi, is shown . Inhalation solutions are used, they are more effective than tablets, they eliminate swelling of the mucous membranes. Use Berodual , Euphyllin.
With the help of β2-adrenergic agonists ( Salbutamol ), a cough attack in an elderly person or child is quickly eliminated. The spray will relax the bronchial muscles, it is applied periodically, the effect of it will be short-lived.
Glucocorticosteroids relieve severe coughs. In such cases, they are treated with Pulmicort , Flunisolid . Long-term use of these drugs is not recommended because of the pronounced side effects.
Thanks to Herbion , Ambroxol , Gedelix, the sputum will liquefy, cough up, and the bronchi will clear.
Traditional methods are used in addition to drug treatment, but do not replace it. Before using it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Propolis is used externally and orally. To prepare the tincture, 15 g of propolis is crushed, filled with alcohol no more than 100 ml, insisted for 7 days. Take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day.
Take 200 g of raisins, fill with water no more than 250 ml, heat up over low heat for no more than half an hour. Onion juice is added to the resulting mass, consumed throughout the day.
Take 500 grams of oats, add 2 liters of goat’s milk. The porridge is boiled in a water bath for 3 hours. The broth is filtered, the patient should be given no more than 100 ml 4 or 5 times a day.
If asthmatic cough is not treated, it will become chronic, with an unfavorable prognosis, pathological changes will occur in the bronchi and lung tissues. Although the prognosis for asthmatic dry cough is favorable, in 30% of cases there is a high probability of the formation of bronchial asthma.
To prevent attacks of dry cough, you must:
- give up addictions;
- exclude contact with allergens;
- timely treat colds;
- stay in the fresh air for at least 2 hours;
- exclude foods that cause allergic reactions;
- do therapeutic exercises, temper;
- undergo a preventive medical examination every year.
If such a cough is not treated, the patient will suffer from bronchial asthma, which can be complicated by terminal conditions:
- status asthmaticus;
- acute respiratory failure;
- spontaneous pneumothorax;
- atelectasis of the lung;
The patient will develop chronic respiratory disorders, characterized by:
- emphysema of the lungs;
- enlarged right ventricle of the heart.
Metabolic processes will be disrupted, the patient will suffer from:
- hypokalemia ;
- metabolic acidosis;
From the side of the heart and blood vessels, complications of bronchial asthma in a patient will appear in the form of:
- hypotonic crisis;
- myocardial dystrophy;
- chronic pulmonary heart disease.
On the part of the digestive system, the patient may experience ulcerative changes in the stomach, duodenum. In severe cases, rupture of the gastric, intestinal mucous membranes with the development of a perforated ulcer is possible.
From the side of the central nervous system, the patient may have complicated conditions in the form of:
- respiratory encephalopathy;
- bettolepsy (consciousness fades away with a strong cough);
- dysfunction of the brain.