Prednisolone belongs to a group of synthetic hormonal drugs of a new generation. An analogue of natural enzymes cortisone and hydrocortisone synthesized in the adrenal cortex. The drug has anti-exudative, anti-shock, anti-allergic pharmacological action. Prednisolone relieves inflammation, reduces the severity of allergic manifestations, the degree of intoxication.
Indications for admission
Intramuscular, intravenous injections of Prednisolone are prescribed for:
- systemic pathologies of connective tissue;
- hematological disorders;
- skin diseases;
- replacement therapy: addison crisis;
- dangerous conditions: granulomatous inflammation with segmental damage to various parts of the digestive tract, shock, status asthma, acute adrenal cortex insufficiency, hepatic encephalopathy, allergic and anaphylactic manifestations, hypoglycemic reactions.
Injecting Prednisolone into the joints, according to the manufacturer’s annotation, is advisable when:
- chronic polyarthritis;
- osteoarthritis of large joints;
- rheumatoid, post-traumatic arthritis;
Also, the use of Prednisolone in ampoules is recommended for hepatitis, gastrointestinal inflammation, lung cancer, cerebral edema, and some diseases of the organs of vision. Injections are administered to adult patients for several days, then they are replaced with a tablet form of the medication. Orally, the drug is prescribed for severe illnesses. For example, during attacks of bronchial asthma, inhalation is performed. V / m, i / v, i / s, oral methods of administration are prescribed to prevent transplant rejection, eliminate dyspeptic disorders in patients taking cytostatics.
Prednisolone ointment helps to fight allergies and inflammatory lesions of the epidermis of a non-microbial nature.
The use of eye drops has the following indications:
- allergic conjunctivitis.
Prednisolone drops are prescribed to relieve non-infectious inflammations that affect the middle of the eye or develop after an organ injury or surgery.
Short-term use of the hormonal drug Prednisolone has the following contraindications:
- individual intolerance to the constituent components of the drug;
- lack of lactase, lactose immunity, sucrase / isomaltase deficiency;
- intolerance to fructose, glucose-galactose malabsorption;
- infancy up to three years.
Prednisolone is prescribed if the doctor decides that the benefits of the medicine are greater than the possible harm for the following pathological conditions:
- gastrointestinal ulcers;
- peptic ulcer;
- stitching or natural fusion of the intestines;
- ulcerative inflammation of the colon mucosa;
- high risk of thromboembolism;
- myocardial infarction;
- heart failure;
- high, low intravenous pressure;
- systemic mycoses;
- the presence of parasites;
- herpes zoster and herpes simplex, chickenpox, measles;
- bacterial and fungal infections;
- open or latent tuberculosis;
- two months before vaccination, two weeks after it;
- inflammatory process in the lymph nodes;
- Itsenko-Cushing’s disease;
- lack or excess of thyroid hormones;
- psychical deviations;
- myasthenia gravis;
- obesity in the late stages;
- renal, hepatic failure;
- systemic osteoporosis.
During pregnancy, the medication is prescribed to women in vital necessity, when there is no alternative. Prednisolone test is done beforehand.
Application during pregnancy
Prolonged use of Prednisolone during pregnancy can provoke the formation of a Gothic palate, slowing down the development of the fetus. Treatment with medication in the last trimester can cause serious consequences: atrophy of the adrenal cortex in the embryo. The newborn baby will need replacement therapy.
Active active elements of Prednisolone penetrate in small quantities into breast milk. Therefore, when using medication during lactation, you need to monitor the condition of the baby, if necessary, stop taking the medication.
The active ingredient in all forms of drug release is prednisolone. Auxiliary elements in the composition of the ointment:
- emulsifier 1;
- carboxylic acid;
- purified water.
In saline for injection:
- vitamin B3;
- disodium edetate;
- sodium disulfide;
- sodium hydroxide;
- water d / i.
In Prednisolone tablets:
- potato starch;
- calcium stearate.
Any form of medication is sold in pharmacies on a prescription list.
Prednisolone in pharmacology is produced in the form of:
- solution for injection;
- eye drops 0.5 percent;
Before using any type of medication, you need to consult a specialist, the instructions for use must be carefully read. The injections must be given by a qualified medical professional; this must be done correctly.
How to take it right
The necessary treatment regimen (dosage, duration, how to dilute the injection solution) is determined by the doctor personally for each patient, it depends on the ailment, its severity, and the characteristics of the organism. The tablets must be taken with or after meals. Drink plenty of water.
The drug should not be mixed with alcohol, they are incompatible. Such a tandem can lead to serious complications. Before using Prednisolone, if antibiotics are taken in parallel, you must inform your doctor about this. In some cases, they cannot be combined.
Shelf life is 3 years, excluding ampoules. They can be used for a year after production. Medicines must be stored at a low temperature, protected from children.
Similar drugs by the mechanism of action and substitutes:
- Betaspan Depot;
Solution for injection Medopred
The use of Prednisolone analogs is agreed with the attending physician so as not to aggravate the pathological condition.
Possible negative effects when using large doses of Prednisolone in a short course:
- men experience sexual dysfunction, women cannot get pregnant;
- depressive conditions;
- confusion of thoughts;
- auditory and visual hallucinations;
- sudden mood swings;
- increased fatigue;
- general weakness;
- severe drowsiness or, on the contrary, a person cannot fall asleep for a long time.
Long-term use of Prednisolone can adversely affect the immune system. Relapses of chronic pathologies may occur , viral and bacterial diseases may develop. The use of the drug Prednisolone can harm the work of the CVS, endocrine system, gastrointestinal tract, musculoskeletal system.
Algorithm of actions in case of side effects: urgently call an ambulance, do a gastric lavage, wait for the arrival of a team of medical workers.